Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Waiting...

Wednesday afternoon is my "reading" time. Bradley has a class in the afternoon and I do not, this gives me a couple hours to get some reading in. I like to spend this reading time in the bookstore, a happy place where I can get coffee from "Calvin's Coffee Contraption" (it squirts shots of flavor and deliciousness into your coffee so it tastes just like Calvin's coffee during the reformation) and buy york peppermint patties for a mere 15 cents.

Today, during my reading time I am writing this blog, texting, wishing I was taking a nap and contemplating the amount of pink I bring to class everyday...my pink Vera Bradley bag, pink computer cover, pink Bible and pink notebook....at what point does it become too much? Does the pink cardigan push it over the edge?

In the midst of all this I did manage to get a little reading in. "With One Voice" by Reggie Kidd (one of my professor's) had a quote that stood out to me. Kidd is writing about a college student who is influenced by her professor's opinions of the Bible. She is influenced not because of the facts presented but because she hasn't been shaped by gospel influenced people. Kidd says, "Arguably the chief icon-maker of her day, Walt Disney, taught her to "wish upon a star" but not to pray to a living God."

How sad it seems to me that the God of the universe seems dull compared to Disney. The Disney "fairy tales" when compared with the ultimate drama of the Bible are boring! I believe, it is so important to tell the stories of the Bible. The story of the unbelievable love of God, the battle of good and evil, the mission to the world, the hope that we have and the promise of our inheritance that is to come. If that college student knew that story, would she be influenced by every passing whim?

How should we take the message of Christ, this unbelievable story of Love, and share it with our culture?


1 comment:

  1. Love reading your post please continue writing love it!!

    ReplyDelete